FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How long before Cuba/Havana goes "Caribbean Resort"
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:05 pm
VidaNaPraia

Originally Posted by Presguy
Went to Havana last month, just for a few days, and had a fantastic time.

The architecture (contrast from Spanish colonial all the way through Soviet influence), the history, the people, the food, and the character/uniqueness in general.

I know Cuba has been a major destination for Non-Americans for quite some time, but now that it's opening up to Americans, what do some of the educated folks on here think will happen, and over what time frame?

How long before you think Cuba (Havana especially) will be just another Caribbean resort spot, full of chain hotels, cookie cutter activities, etc?

I've been telling several friends to go - and I keep saying "go before it changes" - but I'd like to hear speculation on when that will be.
Well, given all the current speculation about Trump reversing Obama's changes any minute now, probably at least not for the next 4 years. Go before he closes things down again, yeah.
And even when the embargo is ended, I don't think the culture and the people will change significantly. The culture is too strong and the people are too proud of it.
The next guy in line for leadership of Cuba is not radically different from the current one, just younger.
The government still regulates (and currently prohibits close to Havana) any building along the coastline.
It'll take decades after the embargo is lifted before Cubans can earn enough to afford enough new cars to change the visuals and to fix up buildings they own, even if the relatives in Mami help.
But maybe the cases will be able to get mattresses whose springs you can't feel, reducing back aches.
Right now Veradero is wall to wall resort hotels, BUT if you stay in the casas on the town end of the peninsula, you'd never know they existed.
And personally I don't think a Cuba with better food, even MickeyD's beef not pork burgers, is a bad thing.