FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does LAX even run with so much going on?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:46 am
OskiBear

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by a330boston
Why exactly is LGB prohibited from expansion? Is it near densely populated area?
There are a number of particularly evil council members whose sole mission in life is to defeat the airport expansion. Even building a new terminal while still within the context of lawsuit settlement's allowable number of flights was fought tooth and nail. Recently, they defeated an initiative to start international flights - again, completely within the context of the allowable flights.

It's utterly frustrating living here with some of the ridiculous responses to the airport use.

That said, those of us in Long Beach are generally equidistant to LAX or SNA so I typically search "LAX, LGB, SNA" for flights and we're fortunate as a prior poster mentioned - plentiful flights, lots of competition, nonstops to most places in the world, and pretty cheap fares. But, at 80,000,000 passengers, LAX is bursting at the seams. Since we are so often regarded as the busiest O&D airport in the world, that means a bigger percentage of that 80M is entering/leaving via the roadways, which is where I've truly noticed the congestion. It's just generally a pain to get in and out of the terminal area.

Last week, even though I was flying out of T4, it was just easier to walk from Park 'N Fly than sit on the shuttle in traffic.