FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:33 am
dukerau

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gnomey
Interesting

Regarding (2), isnt it the case where you have to make at least one purchase per statement cycle, as long as you hold the card? And the moment you stop, the 36 months expiration clock kicks in?

The way you describe it seems more 'lenient' than I thought. Under this approach, you can have M&M miles, cancel your CC, didnt do anything with the miles for 32 months, then sign up for another CC to stop the 36 months expiration clock. Correct?

https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...l=en&cid=18002
LH's T&C are strikingly vague on expiration. The hypothetical you describe is how I understand it works, based on data points I've seen. This aligns with one possible interpretation of LH's T&C: My best guess is that each month, LH runs an expiration exemption process that looks for accounts that have a M&M credit card for >= 3 months and have had a purchase in the last month. Data points on LH expiration are all over the place, but this is the best I've come up with. Best strategy is to use within 36 months of earning and avoid all this song and dance.