FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Barclays (USA) Lufthansa MasterCard - Revived - 50K after $5K spend
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:46 pm
dukerau

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I've tried to clarify with Miles & More and never gotten a straight, or consistent, answer, as far as how their miles expire. I believe I was once told via email they don't expire at all if earned via US-based credit card, then over the phone was given the standard must use card every month thing which is obviously not true from my data points, then was told 3 years after without firm clarification of whether 3 years after earned, after last activity, and further whether or not activity renews if you open another card.

Does anyone have any data points about getting a 2nd card, whether that resets the clock for the miles earned from the 1st card?
Lufthansa miles expire at the end of the quarter 36 months after earn date. Each mile has its own expiration. There is no resetting the clock like US-based airlines do. However, there are 2 exceptions - (1) if you have status your miles don't expire, and if/when you lose status your miles are valid for 36 months from the time you lose status; and (2) if you have the Barclays LH card and make at least one purchase per month for 3 consecutive months, your miles don't expire. I have seen data points of people getting the card close to when some LH miles are set to expire, and regular spend keeps them alive.