FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shades night flights (sun up)
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:12 am
nallison
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by madfish
You really should revisit the definition of DYKWIA. I don't believe anybody on here has remotely demonstrated such behaviour. The closest anybody has come is yourself with mention of how much you have flown.

As for the OP's question I think it is fairly safe to assume that they were focusing on F given that they mention this in the post. You keep harking back to Y but freely admit yourself that eyeshades are provided by the airline in F. Why would they do this if the airline was going to require window blinds to be lowered - simply they are not going to be needed.

You also seem to have a very low threshold for what you consider to be anti social behaviour. I wouldn't consider the actions you describe as such. That does not mean I would support them are participate in such actions myself just not define them in such strong terms. Is taking s packet of crisps from the lounge ASB? What about eating them loudly on board the aircraft? If I snore should I not go to sleep in case I wake my fellow passengers? What if I have a bad case of flatulence both in terms of smells and noise? What if I am a loud nose blower or afflicted with sneezing? What if my autistic daughter has to have the window shade open? Does this mean she is anti-social? If all these are signs of ASB heaven help those gangs of feral kids who hang around street corners terrorising old ladies. They are clearly the anti-Christ.

Perhaps so we are clear you could point out all the posters who have displayed true DYKWIA behaviour on this thread?
OK, you are obviously very upset by the use of DYKWIA, I'm very sorry, obviously that touches a nerve for some. I was using it fairly facetiously. As for anti-social behaviour, I think someone doing something that only benefits themselves, without any consideration for others, that is absolutely not a personal necessity, qualifies. So someone sleeping obviously doesn't because sleep is rather a human necessity, likewise someone with an illness. But when someone makes a choice when the alternative really does them no material harm, that they know affects others, yes I think it is. Just as I expect most would call shouting down your phone in a lounge fairly anti-social.

My point being, to use less provocative language, that I do find it a bit rude, and rather discourteous, when people say things like 'if you want control of the window shade pick the choose the window seat', or that they will refuse crew requests that are the benefit of everyone. Choosing the window seat gives you an advantage, and one I enjoy, but also something of a responsibility I feel to be aware of those around you. I wouldn't want to be responsible for keeping people awake, whom I have no idea what time zone they are on, how long they have been traveling etc. etc.

To me it is common sense that when the entire plane is lowering its shades, I should too. I'm not saying this apples to every flight, obviously on day time flights west it isn't really necessary. But some seem to take the attitude that they will always decide based on what suits them without any consideration of others around them. It is also worth mentioning that one window can pretty well illuminate a whole cabin so I don't think lowerring it if you can see someone near you who's eyes the sun is shining directly into really cuts it.

I am well aware that I have flown far less than probably most contributors to this thread, after all I've been peaking mostly about economy. So I think we can safely rule out DYKWIA on that front I was just making the point that I have consistently observed the same behaviour by crew and passengers on all my flights, and it is clear that the preference when it makes sense ids for conditions conducive to sleep. And alas, eye masks really don't work or aren't available for everyone.

I'm interested in why someone asked about airlines that dim windows in the front cabins and never came back when given answers. Always strange when people do that.