FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shades night flights (sun up)
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:17 pm
madfish

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by nallison
The Ops question was 'What is the general consensus of having your window blind raised on an overnight flight so I'd say I've focussed fairly well on the issue at hand.

Well done on getting a jacuzzi into the discusison, and someone said my view wasn't balanced! I think the difference between airlines making a cost-free request that passengers close a blind and installing jacuzzi's on the fleet is fairly obvious. It's a fairly innocuous request to make the best of the situation as it is for the majority of passenegers, I don't think that translates as 'now we have to give everyone a pony'.

I'm using these terms because I see them used on this forum a lot by people referring to others anti-social behaviour, and I've seen some rather stern posts before about proper behavour from some of those who are now upset about being called out.

I'm afraid you don't get to pick and choose what is anti-social according to your own preferences, it's established by society and the norms of behaviour on planes. It wasn't me that decided shades should generally be down, I just happen to understand the reason for it and reluctantly agree. Which means, as I actually prefer the window but still go along with this because it is so obvious that it's pretty inconsiderate, that I find it very weak that people are claiming there is any ambiguity about this. There isn't, everyone knows and that's why you'll generally see all the shades down, particularly on flights heading east.

I do have an answer, I've explained several times, you just dont like it. The answer is that it's considered inconsiderate by the majority of people. Just like speaking on the phone too loudly in the lounge, or letting your kids run riot, or being overly demanding of crew. If you won't go along with what the majority of people consider appropriate in a social situation, and make a principle of doing so, it's yourself to have to ask quesitons of, not others, and don't be surprised if people bring up the dreaded DYKWIA, even if you think that only applies to 'other people'.
You really should revisit the definition of DYKWIA. I don't believe anybody on here has remotely demonstrated such behaviour. The closest anybody has come is yourself with mention of how much you have flown.

As for the OP's question I think it is fairly safe to assume that they were focusing on F given that they mention this in the post. You keep harking back to Y but freely admit yourself that eyeshades are provided by the airline in F. Why would they do this if the airline was going to require window blinds to be lowered - simply they are not going to be needed.

You also seem to have a very low threshold for what you consider to be anti social behaviour. I wouldn't consider the actions you describe as such. That does not mean I would support them are participate in such actions myself just not define them in such strong terms. Is taking s packet of crisps from the lounge ASB? What about eating them loudly on board the aircraft? If I snore should I not go to sleep in case I wake my fellow passengers? What if I have a bad case of flatulence both in terms of smells and noise? What if I am a loud nose blower or afflicted with sneezing? What if my autistic daughter has to have the window shade open? Does this mean she is anti-social? If all these are signs of ASB heaven help those gangs of feral kids who hang around street corners terrorising old ladies. They are clearly the anti-Christ.

Perhaps so we are clear you could point out all the posters who have displayed true DYKWIA behaviour on this thread?