FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shades night flights (sun up)
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:24 pm
nallison
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by KARFA
You said this already and I suggested that we have been told by the cc that they have to go through the motions of asking if another passenger asks - but you are perfectly ok in saying no. I am still unsure why you see this as DYKWIA behaviour though.
Yes, we have one crew member's opinion. Against worldwide airline policy and generally stricter enforcement. Do you really think it's some huge industry conspiracy to annoy people in window seats for no reason? The airline obviously set the policy for a reason no? Why do you think it was?

Staff on other airlines I've flown tend to be considerably stricter, to be honest whether they enforce it or not to me it's common sense and common decency and I will lower my shade without being asked. Saying 'well it's not the law so I don't have to' is a little childish I would suggest. On that basis anyone causing a scene that isn't a safety risk on a plane is absolutely OK. Parents letting their kids run riot, no problem, people can put in earplugs.

I think it's DYKWIA behaviour for the same reason talking obnoxiously loud on your phone in the lounge is, or any number of other things that people consider DYKWIA that are not actually strictly forbidden but most here will consider fairly uncouth. It's called common decency. And continuing such behaviour even after being asked by crew/lounge staff to consider the impact on others I do find quite arrogant.