FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shades night flights (sun up)
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:58 pm
MickV

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm one of those annoying hermits who keeps the shades closed as long as possible because my eyes are rather light-sensitive and they often plain hurt if there is any glare etc.

However, if someone looks like they're struggling to read a physical book nearby and no-one around me is sleeping, I'd offer to open it.

As far as I'm concerned I'm in a shared space so I'd try to fit in with other people's needs when I can do so without causing myself a silly amount of inconvenience.

I'm not afraid to politely ask to lower the blinds if the glare is really hurting my eyes and I really don't want to sit there with my eyes closed or with eye shades on for hours or can't see the screen for glare (e.g. I need to work). If they oblige, good. If not, I'd happily live with it as it's their prerogative. So far, no-one's ever refused my polite request though. I always start with an apology for even asking them to do something for my own benefit and say I won't be at all offended if they said 'no' because it's their right to keep it open...

I'd say that's up there with the most resonable posts I've read in the subject!

It'll sound really stupid but when flying through turbulence (of which I am not a fan) I find looking out of the window helps calm my nerves. So I try to keep the blind open as much as possible. I also never tire of glazing out at the world!