FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area
Old May 18, 2004, 10:00 am
snorkmaster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Washington Marriott: mini-report

This past weekend, we stayed at the Washington Marriott. With a little shove from a friend (thanks NJUPINTHEAIR ), and assistance from our new Marriott Concierge friend, we were able to book two nights at $119 per night by taking advantage of the Hillwood package, and then we applied an EEO buy one get one certificate as well. Not bad considering the prevailing rate for the weekend was 200-odd dollars.

As has been reported here before, the greatest selling point of this hotel is not the actual property, but its location. Our room was extremely compact, and had a a far too scenic view of the HVAC system one floor below. Not worth griping about given the duration of our stay and the lack of time that we were planning on spending in the room, but it was still one of those "why would you put an elite member in a room like that?" moments.

Check-in was efficient and polite, although the agent made no mention of Concierge Lounge hours or access without prompting. Ultimately, that didn't matter, because we were out of the hotel (or sleeping) during the Lounge's hours.

One stand out event: There was a fire alarm at around 9:30am on Saturday morning. Two comments regarding the alarm:

1) I'm sure the hotel is in compliance with relevant codes, but I found the in-the-hall alarm system to be pretty hard to hear. I am not a heavy sleeper, but I needed a shove from my partner to wake up, as I didn't even hear the alarm. Even then, it sounded more like a loud alarm clock in a neighboring room than an actual fire alarm.

2) Perhaps I'm a nitpicker, but, from a customer service standpoint, I wish either a) the manager on duty had been standing in the elevator area to express his/her apologies for the alarm, or, b) an apology would have been slipped under the doors. I'm not grubbing for points -- I just want a responsive staff that recognizes that involuntary weekend wake-up calls do not enhance guests' stays.

Upon check-out, staff was polite, and the bellmen were very helpful. I don't know if it's the norm, but the bellman got us a town car to National for $15, and we certainly appreciated the nice ride at the end of our stay.

All in all -- I can't complain much given the rate, but I found the property to be thoroughly average, and wouldn't stay at the hotel again unless presented with a similar savings opportunity.

Last edited by snorkmaster; May 18, 2004 at 10:03 am