FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points Plus Cash Alive Again! (was: End of Points Plus Cash program ?)
Old May 30, 2017, 6:32 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What kind of rates are you using? Many of us are using what used be called SOS (Special Organization Savings) rates, and is now called Preferred Customer Rate, which gives even greater savings than AAA or AARP (if you qualify for either of those). And many people have found an SOS rate code just by googling it.

Just last week I stayed at a Quality in Orange County CA at a $63 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $71 with tax. Though that was unusual, that hotel often have $71 Preferred Customer Rate before tax, about $79 after tax.

If I wanted to stay at a "just OK" EconoLodge, there's one that's routinely $59 before tax in the area.

But like I said, to me it seems like using "do 2 separate one-night stays, get 8000 points for it" is still worth it even with $70 before tax or $80 before tax (at least in places that don't have exorbitant taxes plus local fees, like Anaheim locations too close to Disneyland can).
As do you, I'm still finding value on the earning end. I spend a fair amount of time in Richmond and Williamsburg--both of which can beat the $70 threshold, even in ostensibly "tourist season." I stayed in Waynesboro on Friday evening for right at $70.

I'm finding it more difficult to redeem. A search tonight for Irish hotels shows either dropouts from the Choice program--the Cork Clarion no longer seems to be in the program--or blocking of rooms. Many Irish properties that will offer me cash rates are showing "sold out" for the same dates if I switch to a points rate.

I still find outsize value in the Orlando market although the properties tend to rotate, but I'm beginning to sense that while the 2 stay/8000 point earnings rate is nice, it's no longer getting me much on the other end.