FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAS Cabin Baggage
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2017, 4:51 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by markle
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but had quite a novel (and frustrating) experience on my flight from LHR to CPH this morning. Flight was full, and at the gate there was a set of scales in place, with every single cabin bag weighed against a strict 10KG (J) / 8KG (Y) limit, for 'health and safety' reasons. Any offending luggage was checked into the hold for free.

No leniency, even for J / *G.

Obviously the rules are made very clear, but I'd come to expect some leniency - and was surprised to find that they had got scales in place and a dedicated person to weigh them. Is this a new SOP for full flights?
Health and safety reasons, is that nanny state UK kicking in again? Or just staff making up semi plausible reasoning?

I always wish airlines would enforce carry on more strictly. But by size and count. As long as it is reasonably sized weight is less of a concern. Though sometimes you see people who can barely lift their bag off the floor, and you have to wonder...

Originally Posted by markle
That's a bit of a shame. I'd been looking to do more flights on SAS to work towards *G, as my BA year ends in August and there's no way I'll hit Gold on them.

If I'm going to start getting my bag gate-checked more often, I'll move back to BA. Had to wait at the belt for 15 minutes at CPH before any bags started appearing, just a little bit too long for my liking.
On a global scale 15 minutes is not too bad, and on a BA T5 scale it is nothing short of stellar.
(as I am usually on 2 weeks or more, and also often one more than one climate per trip, I almost always check bags so I get to experience most airports' performance)