FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GoPro From Helicopter? Anyone?
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2017, 11:18 pm
LufthansaFlyer

Originally Posted by SirReadsAlot
I've flown on a number of helicopters and every pilot I have come across are very cautious about anything that has the possibility of coming loose and hitting the rotor. I would be beyond shocked if a pilot would allow a passenger to attach anything to the outside of the copter. Even when I've done photography with the doors off or windows open they have been very strict about even allowing lens caps to be loose on the inside of the craft. I don't think I'd want to fly with an operator that allowed it...
I thought that would be an issue as well, but when I ask the pilot whose helicopter it is, she said it wouldn't be a problem and that she's had other people do it in the past. I suspect if its attached via clamp or suction and has a tether, that maybe they're more comfortable with it. Keep in mind this is a South African outfit, so maybe they operate under less stringent rules.

I've had them attached inside of LH cockpits on delivery or other speciality flights in the past so I'm hoping I can raise the bar on the kind of video I can capture.