FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening
Old May 29, 2017, 10:32 am
petaluma1

Originally Posted by chollie
Are the xray operators more poorly trained than their counterparts overseas? Is a two-week paid vacay at the 'academy' (given even to folks who had already been on the job for a decade) really not enough?

Of course, I don't see xray techs overseas trying to do their job while distracted by their co-workers' personal conversation.

This is all about expensive new equipment that the TSA wants. Not content with American markets, TSA wants to force countries around the world to pony up to line US manufacturer and politician pockets - no other technology will suffice.

If the public balks at paying the price for the overpriced-for-the-taxpayer CT scanners for the checkpoint, TSA will suddenly discover that xray techs can't properly screen rollaboards for concealed nastiness, and all pax will be required to empty their rollaboard contents into bins. TSA is going to bring lines to a grinding halt until they get their way.
New CT equipment can't find explosives which is why TSA opens so many checked bags and items within those bags. I do believe that soon everything in a carry-on bag will be required to be removed and placed in a bin.

As an aside
Flying out of RSW: @tsa to me "PLACE YOUR BAG VERTICALLY NOT HORIZONTALLY ON THE CONVEYOR BELT!!!!! Sir step over here for a pat-down."

And while I am at it, since TSA believes that parents who refuse to allow food for their infants to be opened need to be thoroughly groped and tested for explosives, why not just test everyone for explosives? If residue is going to transfer from "explosive" baby food, it's going to transfer from "explosive" electronics and granola bars also.

As with the electronics-in-the-hold boondoggle, if there is a true threat, then such attempts to ameliorate said threat should have been instituted immediately and across the board. No "pilot programs" or negotiating with the EU.

Last edited by petaluma1; May 29, 2017 at 10:42 am