FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should Alex Cruz step down or be replaced? [FT poll]
Old May 28, 2017, 2:54 pm
ahmetdouas

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by icegirl
James officially leaves his post as CEO for Etihad on the 1st July by which I can’t see how IAG or its shareholders would still want Alex in charge, especially as the IT fiasco rumored to be running into hundreds of millions of pounds and very low support from employees and customers. JH, on the other hand, has built perhaps one of the finest and successful premium airlines in the sky. The only problem I see is if he would ever accept this challenge and if Willie Walsh would ever approach him.
Why would he want to be the CEO with Willie bossing him around? No thank you! The CEO of British Airways answers to IAG, so isn't really a 'CEO' if you know what I mean!

And yes, Alex Cruz is a yes man. I blame Willie for all this BOB and IT disgrace! Cruz is basically a secretary who answers to Walsh!
At least AC gets paid a lot for a secretary!

Anyway, joking aside, I see AC staying for now. This alone won't lose him his job. They will probably find one of the lower managers and sack one or 2 of them as a scapegoat to blame them for this mess.

I estimate this mess to cost BA around 300,000,000 GBP overall if everyone claims on their EU261 of course, on the basis that this easily affected a few hundred thousand passengers (BA flew 45,000,000 people last year) Even if they don't, you are talking over 100,000,000 GBP best case scenario for BA on disruption expenses alone (hotels, rebookings, transport, lost bookings, etc. etc., even increased champagne consumption in the lounges!)

So with a last year profit of 1.4 bilion or so, this incident can take something like. 25% of their profit for the whole year. I am attaching BA past financial figures for reference.

So AC sacked? No. But bonuses lower for sure!

Oh and my favorite part of this is that all the money he wanted to save by introducing BOB has been blown out of the window by the cost of this IT incident!

Karma, perhaps?

Last edited by ahmetdouas; May 28, 2017 at 3:07 pm