FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at LIH
Thread: Cars at LIH
View Single Post
Old May 26, 2017, 6:53 am
factory81

I called the National Counter at Lihue, and they do in fact have a few 370z (they said they were convertibles, too). I asked them what I should book, based on my choices?

And I ran a couple scenarios by them;

1) If I book EA, and I see a 370z convertible not on the EA lot, will I be charged an upcharge to get that car? The answer of course was yes, they would not necessarily put it on the EA lot (unless the lot was empty)

This is where it gets interesting;

2) If I book the convertible $144/day rate, and I don't like the convertibles you have available, but you have a inexpensive speciality vehicle (BMW 3/Infiniti/Benz C/whatever), can I just get the specialty vehicle instead? She said yes. She said there are a few speciality vehicles that cost less than $150/day, and I should be able to just.......hop in that (for free). Does flyertalk agree that this should be true?

3) Kind of an add-on to #2 , but if I saw a Wrangler 4DR Unlimited, and wanted that instead, could I just hop in that as well (since it is a cheaper rate)? She said yes as well.

She did make a point to say that when you book a wrangler or a convertible tho, they will actually hold you a convertible or a wrangler. AKA, you won't show up and be given a Ford Escape or Equinox if you book a Wrangler, you will actually get the Wrangler. But she did say that when it comes to holding specific convertibles or specialty cars, they are unable to reserve them. So I can't request the 370z convertible for my trip.

I was kind of curious what this reserve service is though?

https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca...ocReserve.html

That service doesn't allow me to pick a specific make/model, correct? It just requires the airport to provide me a Wrangler if I book a Wrangler class (and same for convertible, but it can be any convertible).

I was hoping that reserve service would allow me to get really picky

Originally Posted by Twixboy
If you have free days pick whatever you want - a Wrangler, Mustang Convertible, or Tahoe are the usual expensive choices at this location. Don't waste your free days on an Emerald reservation. At $50/day you can just pay cash here and save your free day for an LCAR for another vacation.

Convertible = 80% Mustang and 20% Camaro

Jeep = Wrangler but if you book this make sure you get the 4 door. The trunk of the 2 door wrangler doesn't fit any luggage except for personal bags. If you reserve the Jeep they shouldn't run out, plus they have a million of them. If for some reason they overbook that class I'm guessing they'll give you a Tahoe instead. There are no 4Runners in the fleet - that's a "locals" car.

I've never seen any of those other luxury brands you mentioned, but there is one Cadillac SRX in the fleet that you might be able to reserve if you call them in advance.

As for hard tops (or did you mean hardtop convertible?), I picked a base Camaro fastback off the ES once. I see Mustang GT coupes frequently on the island, but I'm not sure if they are from National or another rental car company since they wouldn't put these out on the aisle.