FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak conductor shot by passenger
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2017, 1:19 pm
hi55us

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Policypeddler
Starting a Go Fund Me account for "medical expenses"? The injured conductor was working; therefore, all expenses (Medical, Rehab, Medication, Wages) will be paid by Workers Compensation (or FELA). I never understand the push for donations when someone is covered by WC benefits. (stating this probably gives you the perception that I am cold and uncaring. Not so, I have great respect for First Responders and those injured needlessly like this gentleman; but, there is always a rush to provide donations for things that are already provided by Workers Compensation.)
Former Workers Comp Claims Examiner here - likely a messy case with responsibility. They have a 3rd party involved (the shooter) and Amtrak's insurance company is likely trying to get as much money as possible out of the 3rd party before paying on the claim. In the meantime the blood hungry hospital is probably demanding payment from the family since they can't get the WC insurance company to pay right now. This case will likely take a while to work itself out.... they haven't even charged the shooter yet!