FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm an airline "virgin" - which airlines should I try?
Old May 25, 2017, 8:40 am
Yoshi212

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Some easy routes from the East Coast to try out are CX JFK-YVR (77W), SQ JFK-FRA (A380) & IAH-MAN (A350). While I too have issues sleeping on planes, in Y, I sleep well on the A380 lower deck window seat as the curve gives good space to lean a little bit away from the middle seat passenger.

Some to avoid in Y are AA & LX in Y on their 77Ws (10 across vs the more comfortable standard of 9). B6's economy is, in my opinion, the best domestic standard economy product and the Mint experience is the best transcon J product.

The ME3 (Qatar, Etihad & Emirates) are all good options for long haul flights. Give the edge to QR for PHL-DOH for you on the A350. EK also flies JFK-MXP (A380 mostly)

DL & UA still have some 744s doing domestic hops from time to time, especially for summer traffic, which can be a nice experience if you haven't had it yet. PHL-YTZ on a Q400 landing on the island airport has some nice views.

VS from LHR in J on the A346 or 788 is nice but the lounge is the real winning experience in my book. The onboard bar is nice too.

Last edited by Yoshi212; May 25, 2017 at 9:17 am