FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old May 24, 2017, 1:49 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phltraveler
43 nights and 33K points from Lifetime Platinum... trying to complete the grind. I have ten nights coming up next week (but my understanding is with 2 rooms at the same hotel for the same member, they'll only credit five). Questionable whether or not I will make it before the end of the year...

Only joined MR in 2012. Thank god they got rid of the minimum number of years requirement for Lifetime status.

I really need MR Plat over gold to keep Hertz and UA elite status... that's the real end game
Well, it's unclear whether lifetime Platinum will give you UA elite status.

What I mean by that is that Marriott and SPG are merging, and while Marriott partners with UA, SPG partners with Delta (in a slightly different way, not involving true status though close), and it's unclear at this point which (if either) of those partnerships will survive in the merged program. Keep in mind that these two hotel programs are the only ones with such partnerships (no hotel program has such a partnership with AA), and they were created when Marriott and SPG were competitors.

Meanwhile, every year someone early in the year asks if the UA partnership has been extended another year, because there never seems to advance notice of that, and it's a while after that start of the year before it's confirmed each year (so far). So we likely won't even know until sometime in January 2018 whether the Marriott partnership with UA continues into 2018.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 24, 2017 at 1:58 pm