FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card
Old May 24, 2017, 12:16 pm
LAXRuss

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Originally Posted by brillb
I'm now on to my 2nd metal AXP Platinum card with contactless. In both of them, the contactless chip is somehow defective. At terminals where the vendor lets me see the whole error, it says either "read failed" or "unknown card type". My blue cash amex also has contactless and works totally fine at the same merchants and same terminals.

My attempts to get an amex representative to even listen to what I was trying to explain have been futile. I literally just had one of them tell me "your card isn't contactless" <facepalm>!!

Has anyone had any luck actually using contactless in their new metal Platinum card? For reference both defective cards say card stock id 5528 CS 02/17 in bottom right on back, under the contactless logo.
Just curious as a sidebar issue with contactless payment-- I have a foreign international dollar card. When I travel to Canada, I NEVER have a problem using the contactless payment. (In fact, when I recently visited Toronto by air, I found that AMEX was so wide-spread, I never exchanged any money! I paid for everything from the public transport to/from airport and in city, bread shop, souvenirs, hotel, theater, museum admission and restaurant meals using contactless payment.) . When I use the card in the U.S., I have consistent problems making payments on terminals that advertise contactless payment. Over time, I have come to the following assumptions: (a) some terminals may advertise the contactless payment but may have it turned off; (b) some terminals may advertise contactless payment but it does not activate until the cashier presses the right button; if I try too early, it does not work; (c) some terminals may possibly be rejecting me because I am making a high cost transaction and it reverts to Chip & PIN while it may accept a contactless payment if the cost had been lower. Even McDonald's used to advertise contactless payment at every terminal; now that I have the contactless card, it appears they are dropping the technology at many locations...

Just curious if others have a similar experience...

Last edited by LAXRuss; May 24, 2017 at 12:30 pm