FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would Reserved Overhead Space Work?
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2017, 10:14 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I think it's a fantastic idea. 1k/GS/FC get it free, others pay. Bag dimensions are listed on the website so it can be allocated based on those dimensions. No pay, no roll aboard. Just like BE. They know exactly how many they can sell. It's another monetization opportunity in the world of unbundling. Makes sense to me to give it a try.
First, this should never ever happen. I can't imagine the problems reserved bin space would bring, but I''m sure they'd be bad, and sometimes possibly violent. There aren't enough bin spaces for everyone to have a slot. This is the main fact to consider.

Second, it should NOT be a benefit only for certain elites. If any airline were to try this, it should apply across the board. Here's an example why:

So, in your scenario, a non-frequent flier could pay for a bin space a month before a flight while a last minute elite who does a SDC or even books a flight a few days before, has to check his bag. I can hear the argument with the GA or FA about how he's entitled to bin space as a benefit.

Plus, why stop at 1K? Plats, Golds, Silvers don't get it? So if they don't pay, over half the bins in the plane could be empty???

Not to mention how it would slow down the boarding process as the GA checks the size of each bag in the non-bin-entitled group to make sure it fits under the seat.

I could come up with 100 scenarios that make this a really bad idea that would be difficult to execute.