FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Trip To Havana
View Single Post
Old May 24, 17, 10:57 am
DanielW
Moderator: Trip Reports

Day 0.

The conference I had been attending in San Diego ended mid-morning on Thursday. I had been pretty busy with two presentations, being chairman for one of the sessions as well as 7am breakfast meetings for three of the four mornings, so I did not have a chance to see much of San Diego outside of the downtown area.

After checking out of the Omni San Diego Hotel and storing my suitcase, I walked down to the USS Midway, a former US Navy aircraft carrier that was now a museum ship and the largest aircraft carrier in the world open to the public.

The 'Embracing Peace' sculpture of the iconic sailor kissing a nurse just across from the USS Midway.

After buying my ticket at the pier and having my camera bag checked at security by a Navy Veteran, I headed aboard.

In the hangar, looking down at a Grumman F4F Wildcat. The USS Midway was built during World War 2 but was not commissioned until the 10th of September, 1945, eight days after the surrender of Japan.

A Douglas A-4 Skyhawk on one of the hangar elevators amongst diners at the museum cafeteria. The USS Midway was America's longest-serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century and the only carrier to serve the entire length of the Cold War. It was also the largest ship in the world for the decade after it was first built.