FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]
Old May 21, 2017, 10:58 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by okrogius
SEA-CPH r/t, PNC41S - for mid-June to early January travel. (Ticketing must be complete by 5/21, so you might find it harder to find later.)

PNC40S is entirely non-refundable and no-stopovers (41 allows unlimited for 200 per direction). With that said, I actually haven't been able to get ITA to price anything with the PNC40S for whatever reason.
OK, I pulled up the full fare rules, and they reinforce my earlier suggestion. It seems that this fare is refundable before travel for a $500 charge, or changeable for a $450 charge. The specific language I'm looking at is:

FULL VALUE OF WHOLLY UNUSED TICKET MAY BE
APPLIED TOWARDS PURCHASE OF A NEW TICKET PRICED
AT CURRENT FARE LEVELS UPON PAYMENT OF THE
CANCEL PENALTY CONTAINED WITHIN THIS RULE AND
DIFFERENCE IN FARE/TAX/FEES/CHARGES AND
SURCHARGES COLLECTED/REFUNDED AT TIME OF
EXCHANGE.
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN FARE DIFFERNCE--
--
WHEN CHANGE RESULTS IN LOWER FARE -
RESIDUAL VALUE MAY BE APPLIED TOWARD CANCEL
PENALTY
That indicates to me that this fare operates more like a refundable fare than a non-refundable fare; UA non-refundable fares always require new money, even if the fare difference is enough to cover the change penalty.

It's pretty unambiguously non-refundable after travel has commenced.

If you have booked / choose to book this fare in the next two hours, I'd call and ask for confirmation from UA, but that's how I read it.

PS: The lower fare you mentioned -- PNC40S -- has a max stay of 3 months, so if you were looking for those same travel dates, that's why it wouldn't price for you.

Last edited by jsloan; May 21, 2017 at 11:00 pm Reason: PNC40S