FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taipei in December on Cathay Pacific
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2017, 9:41 pm
wjin

The next morning, we went by train to the Gold Museum at Jinguashi (Golden Melon Rock). The area used to be a working gold mine under the Japanese.

No Pokemon Go.

Exhibit explaining what miners did to extract the gold.

Hot beancurd in some sweet soup.

After exploring the area, we took a bus to the touristy area of Jiufen. Basically it’s a maze of narrow streets with shops selling various kinds of foods. Since it’s the busy season, there’s barely any room to walk. We didn’t stay long.

3 different meatballs in soup with rice noodles for lunch.

Not wanting to continue squeezing with the crowds, we headed back to Taipei. The queue for the bus was long, we couldn’t board the first bus and had to wait another hour for the next bus. To make matters worse, no standing was allowed on the bus.

We reached Taipei at 7pm and went to the night market for some street food.
Oysters at Ningxia night market. There was a long queue at the restaurant but I found the oysters just so-so.

Taipei Main Station at night.

We went on the Maokong gondola the next day.

Cat mountain tea soft serve. That biscuit is shaped like a cat.

Panda building at the zoo.

After wandering around the zoo for a while, we headed back to the city.
Taipei 101. We didn’t hang around the area for long as it was crowded since it was New Year’s Eve. They were also barricading some of the areas in preparation for the fireworks display that night.

Teenagers in onesies.

The famous Hong Kong dim sum chain.

Fried chicken for dinner from a local fast food chain. Chicken was tough, dry and over fried.

Taipei 101 lit up at night getting ready for countdown.

Crowds on the road waiting for the fireworks display. The grass patch was empty because a police officer was nearby and he would whistle anytime someone stepped on the grass.

Falungong display.

National Palace Museum. There was free entry into the museum since it was New Year’s Day.

Xiaolongbao from the famous Taiwanese chain Din Tai Fung. I’m surprised they don’t have English menus since they’re quite geared to tourists, or maybe it’s because we visited a less popular branch.

Although it was December, the weather was really warm. Most days, the temperature was above 20 degrees.

Working up a sweat climbing up Xiangshan (Elephant Hill).

View of Taipei 101

228 Memorial Hall. Wanted to visit it but it was closed for the holiday. There were a lot of locals and families enjoying a day out at the surrounding park (it’s a good place to catch Pokemon too).

Matcha milk drink from Family Marts.

12 cupcakes. They’re a Singaporean brand run by a celebrity couple who’ve since divorced and the brand has been sold to an Indian tea company (I think).

3 January 2017
CX463
TPE-HKG
0600hrs to 0745hrs

We managed to grab a few hours of sleep before waking to catch the bus to TPE.

Queue for bag drop. Check in hadn’t opened at this early hour although once it did, the queue cleared quite quickly.

There wasn’t much to do in the airport at this early hour. Most shops were still closed.

Boarding the flight. The rear cabin was filled by students on some school trip.

Snack during the flight. Don’t recall much meat in the wrap.

B-LAK as CX463 from Taipei.

This time round, we had around 1 hour 20 minutes for transit. It was quite a rush as we were looking for some XO sauce to buy back. It’s this fermented sauce made with dried seafood which you can use as an accompaniment to any dish.

My parents were asking the salesperson more before deciding which flavour of sauce to buy when this exchange happened.

Mom: What's the difference between them.
Sales person: One is original, the other one is spicy, another is (some flavour which I can’t remember)
Mum: Oh it’s spicy is it?....
Sales person: Hmm, where are you from?
Which was a weird question and she must have seen our puzzled looks.
Sales person: I just wanted to gauge your level of tolerance. If you’re from Malaysia or Singapore, it should be no problem. If you’re from Canada though, you might find it too spicy.

3 January 2017
CX759
HKG-SIN
0900hrs to 1300hrs

For some reason, everytime I fly from HKG to SIN (which admittedly isn't much), it’s always boarding from gate 70 (or 69 or 68?) all the way at the end.

Seat on this A333.

Boarding was completed on time but we sat at the gate for close to 45 minutes before moving. Congestion again.

Breakfast was served, I chose the chicken congee. The other choice was some egg dish. It was ok, smooth but some spring onions and shallots would do the trick.

Parking at SIN next to a company A359.

Conclusion
And that concludes my Taipei trip. Cathay Pacific brought us there and back comfortably and for a great price too. This wasn’t my first time to Taipei, think next time I should venture out into the other cities and the outskirts.