FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old May 18, 2017, 6:01 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
Ok i see ya'll point. What about putting my spending on my Marriott card as opposed to my other cards which earn better rewards like the SPG and Freedom Unlimited? I'm in this process now and its really hard not getting my "value" by using the Marriott card.
Well, how is that any different from transferring UR? In either case, if it turns out in less than a year that you don't need lifetime points any more, then having earned them on a low-value credit card vs having transferred them from UR will both have been equally "a waste"?

So the main idea in "wait" is don't change your behavior while waiting!

I don't use my Marriott card anywhere other than Marriott family properties, except overseas (because not all my other cards have 0% forex) I've used it for restaurants because it earns extra points there.

The earning from that credit card (on everyday purchases) is so slow, that unless you have a gigantic amount of spend (way more than most people who aren't in business for themselves), you're not going to earn enough to make much of a dent. The 1 night from $3k of purchases is going to be way more significant than the 3000 points, but you don't nights, you only need points, right?