FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Australia with Toddlers - Itinerary Advice
Old May 17, 2017, 10:32 am
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Question Australia with Toddlers - Itinerary Advice

Thanks to the recently announced Air Canada/Aeroplan divorce, I will be burning off my Aeroplan points faster than scheduled to use up my accumulated stash. That means taking the kids to Australia sooner than I had expected. Planned trip is Aug. 2018 when the bambinos will be 5 and 2.5. I'm looking at about 19-20 days.

Virtually every first-time AUS itinerary I've looked at includes GBR and Uluru and despite how heretical it seems, I think we will probably dispense with both as neither seems particularly well suited to our needs, interests and budget at this stage of child-rearing. So that means having to cobble together our own itinerary, and I'd be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions.

SYD will be involved as point of entry or departure... what I'm having a hard time with is figuring out which way to go from there. Seems to me that a logical itinerary would be either:

South from Sydney
SYD - 6 nts.
CBR - 2 nts.
coastal drive - 3 nts. en route southbound
MEL - 4 nts.
ADL? HBR? or elsewhere? - 4 nts.
SYD - 1 night

or

North from Sydney
SYD - 6 nts.
coastal drive - 2 nts. en route northbound
OOL - 3 nts.
BNE - 4 nts.
No idea - 3 nts.
SYD - 1 night

If anyone has done something similar, I'd be interested in hearing thoughts they might have. I'd also welcome suggestions for any places in the eastern part of AUS... I think ADL is about as far west as we will go this trip. Thanks!