FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MB European Delivery Program – An Adventure on Wheels
Old May 17, 2017, 9:29 am
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Part 11 Explore the scenic region of Berner Oberland

Our plan was to do a 4 perfect days in Berner Oberland with a train pass. We would cruise around daily to as many places as the train pass and time would allow.

On this first morning after breakfast, we strolled around the village of Lauterbrunnen to get a sense of the area. On the west of the valley is a sheer cliff with many waterfalls. On the other side (east), there are colorful chalets and houses scatter on the mountain side.

Lauterbrunnen: The Staubbach Waterfall

Hotel Staubbach: The view at breakfast

Later, we jumped into our car and drove south toward Stechelberg, just to see what lied beyond. When you are in this somewhat narrow valley on a sunny morning, you can’t help but keep your eyes staring upwards toward all the mountain ranges surrounding you. What an awesome sight! Photos do not do justice to their majesty and awesomeness.

Lauterbrunnen: The village in panorama

Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen

Next, we left the car back in the hotel and headed toward the train station on foot. We took the Wengernalpbahn (the yellow and green train) from Lauterbrunnen to the car-free village of Wengen. This cog wheel, rack and pinion train has been in service since 1893. I was ecstatic about riding on this train, probably equally excited as when I rode on the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express four years ago.

Berner Oberland Regional Train Routes

We sat on the LEFT side of the train going uphill on purpose in order to take in the unbelievable views! The fact was, I didn’t see anything except through the view finder of my camera. My camera almost overheated as I was bursting the shots. Sorry for the blurry-glary shots from the train, but here they are:

Lauterbrunnen-Wengen: On the Wengernalpbahn cog wheel train

I lost track of time. Maybe 15 minutes later, we arrived at Wengen. Since the weather was really clear and sunny, we decided to head straight toward Kleine Scheidegg, and continued on from there to the Top Of Europe! We could always return to Wengen at a later time/day.

From Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg, the scenery is a bit different, but quite stunning as well.

Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg: On the Wengernalpbahn, just left Wengen

Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg: On the Wengernalpbahn, just left Wengen. The village of Wengen below.

Next up: The Top of Europe and Kleine Scheidegg
Top of Europe