FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]
Old May 17, 2017, 7:26 am
DaTaco

So I'm new to the upgrade and miles process and I was wondering if someone can clarify something with me..

I've booked a flight from IAD to MUC (Dulles to Munich) on United on July 19th and was offered to upgrade to "buy" first class (for 2k), or waitlist to business class (I think it's business class?) for $550 and 20k miles.

The only way I can tell, is the Buying option list Polaris First Class, while the waitlist lists Polaris Business Class. Is that normally how it works?

I also understand this isn't actually "real" Polaris, it's just modified business class, but I'll deal with it.

So my question is kind of two fold, is there any reason to go ahead and get wait listed for the upgrade, as my understanding is the order that they clear are in their tiers would put me pretty much last right, or does the upgrade waitlist clear anytime before that flight (since we are still 60 days before the flight?)

My secondary question, any idea to tell what my odds are on getting upgraded? It seems like they are fairly slim right? So it makes sense for me to go ahead and get the "Economy Plus" upgrade for 120ish bucks right, even though I won't get that money back if I get upgraded to first?