FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old May 16, 2017, 6:48 pm
osugrad2x

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You seem to be confusing requirements with benefits.

Requirements are what you need to earn lifetime status. Benefits are what the status gives.

The current Marriott Lifetime Gold requirements are 500 lifetime nights plus 1.6 million lifetime points. Lounge access is a Gold benefit, not a Lifetime Gold requirement.

It's much more likely that the requirements will change than than that the benefits will change. It would not be competitive for Marriott to continue to require 50 nights for a status which gives no lounge access, when SPG did the same at 50 nights. The SPG status that SPG calls "Gold" is much closer to Marriott Silver than to Marriott Gold.

However, SPG's lifetime status requirements do not involve points at all, only nights and years.

So it's not lounge status that you should be worried about, but the possibility that if you wait you might not need any lifetime points at all (and thus any UR points transferred now might be a "waste" if you didn't need the points for stays, just for lifetime status, and if you didn't need lifetime status now, just later).

So I agree with hhoope01 that you should wait to see what happens. If it turns out they'll get rid of the points requirements but add a years requirement which you're even further away from, you should have time to transfer those UR points (assuming you haven't used them for something else) at that time. But if it turns out that they'll get rid of (or reduce) the points requirement and not add any new requirements you haven't met already, then you won't ever need to use your UR points for this.
Ok i see ya'll point. What about putting my spending on my Marriott card as opposed to my other cards which earn better rewards like the SPG and Freedom Unlimited? I'm in this process now and its really hard not getting my "value" by using the Marriott card.