FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "advantages" of assigned seating
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017, 6:51 am
dinanm3atl

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Well, yeah.

As has been stated in this forum probably 10000 times over the years, if you have status on a legacy it's probably better than WN for you. And if you don't, WN is often preferable.
This is one thing brought up and if you have low travel needs I think this applies. When it doesn't is people that earn the top tiers but choose Southwest. In that case I don't think it makes sense. The only time it does is if you constantly are changing flying times a lot(and not just same day) the savings ind dollars there would be worth it.

Originally Posted by rickg523
Boarding Passes A line up and board 20 minutes early. They call A group, then let preboards on. Because you have an actual Boarding Line Position Number, you don't have to line up until boarding for your group begins. There can be some jumble within the groups of 5 (who cares), but nobody's cutting lines beyond 5 positions.
Assigned seats or not, WN's boarding system - the one they've been using in this century - is the most efficient and best one out there. In fact I'd say it's the only 21st century system around. And it could easily be adapted to assigned seating planes.
It does work well. No doubt about that.

The others WOULD work well if the actual process was enforced and altered slightly. The biggest problem is none of the legacies with any type of frequency enforce their boarding rules. Where as Southwest will tell my wife to wait when trying to board in A zone. Delta I have seen people with Zone 2 or 3 board during PREM(FC and Diamonds). Right on their boarding pass. They scan and walk on. No one says a thing.

Then they should board SKY and then board back to front. Zone 1 is all AMEX holders and Silver Medallion. It means a LOT of people and they are going all over the plane. This is a huge slow down.