FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United - Positive Experiences 2017
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017, 1:41 am
ContinentalFan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
UA1967 (May 13): the "Summer of Love" flight

On Saturday, I had an experience that was more unusual than great, but great nevertheless.

I took UA1967 from LAX to SFO. It was designated as the "Summer of Love" flight: it was fifty years to that date when the Summer of Love was declared in San Francisco. We were specially welcomed on board this flight. There was a flow control issue at SFO (two runways closed), but they swapped slots, so that our 45 minute delay could get us there 20 minutes early. Someone read out a "Summer of Love" manifesto or declaration, something like that, during the flight--all very hippy-esque. They played that "flower in your hair" song about San Francisco--it was released fifty years ago on Saturday. The crew (those that had hair) wore flowers, guess where, yep, in their hair.

We landed early on 28L; we were supposed to be routed onto 2R, but someone gave us some kind of concession; lots of foreshadowing that there was more to come. Of course, a B787 occupied our gate (something about animal cargo being moved around), so we ended up being five minutes late. We were greeted with flowers, hugs, etc. At least I assumed they wanted to hug me. I hugged preemptively just in case. They had "Summer of Love" decals to let us know how to get to baggage claim. There was a chorus singing away too; my guess is that it was (part of) the Gay Men's Chorus of San Francisco--it was excellent. They had a pack of dogs, therapy dogs, wagging away, doing what dogs to spring, summer, winter and fall.

It was all very unexpected and memorable and you'll have to wait for another 50 years, if you want to experience the next one!