FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "advantages" of assigned seating
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2017, 7:23 pm
dinanm3atl

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stampchez
There are pros and cons.

It's frustrating when I buy BS and the entire front of the plane is full of through pax or when my family can't board with my A+ boarding pass and we have to go to the back to get three seats together.

I would say it is definitely a positive for people without status but I like how I can have economy plus for the whole family and all board first group together on United.
I totally forgot about this. I flew with my wife one time on Southwest with the top status and was completely floored that I could not board with my wife(IE bring her on with me). That is just completely stupid. Fast Forward to today and my family(wife and kids). We are flying to Orlando from Atlanta I already have our seats together in Comfort+ on Delta. Less than 200 each round trip. The C+ upgrades cleared instantly AND my wife is aligned with what is essentially Platinum Medallion traveling with me.

I get the positives of the operation and how it fits for a lot. After a year of using them though it was just too many negatives for me. Another major issue was zero lounges. I travel a good bit and have connections or colleagues coming in to same airports. Can't align travel 100% so spending 45min in a lounge is far better than 45min in the baggage area waiting for them.