FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old May 14, 2017, 2:09 pm
sgfood

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by sm5486
Hello forum members,

Did a search, and found a few helpful threads, but nothing that fits my situation.

I was on a biz class seat from Lax to Lhr on United. Upon boarding, I realized the entertainment system did not work. Informed the purser and they tried to reset, but it did not work. After the takeoff, I tried to recline the seat and nothing. Called over the purser and they couldn't get it to work. Staff was very apologetic and upon checking the logs, this was reported by a previous passenger on. A previous flight. The purser advised, the seat should been flagged and I should have been moved to a another seat prior to departure. He gave me an inflight certificate to contact customer service.

I reached out and low and behold, they lowballed an offer of $100. I countered explaining $100 would not cut it and that I either wanted 1/2 my airfare refunded or at the very least the difference in fare between biz and economy plus.

What am I really entitled to given UA knew about the pre-existing condition of the seat?

Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Last year a similar problem happened to spouse and I, LAX-EWR. Flight was continuing to CDG and we reported broken seating 1E & 1F. one didn't recline and the other would collapse half way. Same thing, problems had been reported the previous flight and after an overnight at LAX no maintenance.

We were given a $150 each which was fine with me, but our concern was the passengers flying overnight to GDG. Your offer on an international was pretty pathetic and agree with a previous poster, worth at least $500.

Last edited by sgfood; May 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm Reason: seat#