FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Hotels Chicago: meeting the Virgin hype?
Old May 14, 2017, 7:28 am
Sealink

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Virgin Hotels Chicago: meeting the Virgin hype?

Introduction So many people have recommended Chicago to me, that I couldn't wait to visit the city. I had an amazing stay, and it is one of the friendliest cities I have ever been to. Check In We arrived in the evening and first impressions were good (despite music playing outside - I was worried that this hotel would be one of these ones with a disco at reception, but my worries were misplaced as it was actually quite subdued. There were two screens for self-service check-in, however, the staff immediately offered to check me in. Room I loved the room! It was so bright, with a distinctive red, white and grey colour scheme. The red was not overpowering, and very subdued in the bedroom where white was the overarching tone. This picture doesn't do the room justice. The bed was very comfortable and huge (as you'd expect giving it was a king sized bed), with charging points nearby. I know that we have to cut down on 'blue light', but I'm not at that stage yet so appreciate charging points near the bed.The sitting room had a bright red sofa, dining table with a chair which was modelled from a Vespa, and a mini bar. There was also a tray of chocolates, spirits at more or less high street prices. No bath, however a huge shower room, double sinks and a separate WC. Incidentally, the lifts were excellent, with minimum waiting time (I can't bear waiting for elevators) Service Service was very good - they have mastered being friendly but also not being 'your best mate' which I don't really like. You could also request service from the Virgin Hotels app. Dining We had breakfast here and I really enjoyed it. Sitting down you receive a couple of blueberry doughnuts, which were so tasty, almost decadent. The Commons Club is the bar on the second floor, where a daily happy hour meant free drinks for guests from 7pm to 8pm, and the menu included premium brands. It emptied after that, except on our last night where we met some friendly locals (did I mention how friendly Chicago is?!) and I preferred this bar to the rooftop one. The rooftop bar had a DJ, thumping music and queues to be served. I didn't much like it but it was good to experience it. Breakfast MenuThe Commons Club Location So central - there are L stations within yards, the river was close and it was a very pleasant walk to the theatres. Overall I am a fan of Virgin Atlantic, but find that as a brand, Virgin tends to over hype what they offer. I found the Virgin Hotel to be the best representation of Virgin - friendly staff, some quirky decor but backed up with an amazing bed, a walk-in shower big enough for six