FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2017]
Old May 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raadhey
Thank you for both your responses. I totally understand UA isn't liable for ATC delays. Also, since Air Tahiti Nui isn't a partner, they were not required to transfer luggage either.

What I am miffed about is they could've informed us earlier. I met another couple in Tahiti the next day. They were flying Alaska from PDX (i think) and they were informed earlier in the day that their flight was going to be delayed to LAX. They contacted the airline, got onto an earlier flight that day and made it in time for their flight to LAX. UA could've informed me earlier, rather than at the gate! I would've made changes to my plans. Even at the gate, they couldn't care any less. That was the attitude they showed.

The TN rep called me and said they were willing to accept the baggage from UA even later at night. They would put it on the next flight and get it to us.
But UA wasn't willing to go the extra mile. That is okay. They do the bare-minimum and not go above and beyond (No sarcasm intended) and I can understand they dont want risks related to missing baggage etc or security risks.

I totally get that pax may not listen to FAs and can still block the way. But the least they could do was announce than say sorry!

Tahiti was good. Totally fun. But we missed a day and a half and my wife wasn't happy about it not being "perfect". But she relaxed the next day... I am hoping Chase will have my back for stay in LA but also the additional night I had to put in at Tahiti main island because I couldn't get to Moorea (final destination) due to no ferry's available at night.
Assuming that you have not yet written your complaint to united CS, I would advise that your chances of satisfactory compensation are highest when you highlight specific operational failures, e.g., the lack of advance communication. As you note, weather and ATC are considered outside of UA's control.

In my impression, the CSR's seem to be relatively conciliatory at present (relative to history), so with a concise message you may recover some appreciable compensation (ETC or miles; if you have a preference it may be worthwhile to state).