FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Customers - Cheap with High Expectations?
Old May 12, 2017, 12:37 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by flyquiet
......(And congrats on promotion to Evangelist!)
Thanks. I did not receive the pay raise to go with it.

I think FFs are different in expectations and that is probably not who the airline is talking about. I think they are talking about the Tango fare buyers who complain their family can't sit together or they aren't automatically protected on irrops.

In the discussion of several recent cases, many comments have pointed to the need for AC to explicitly alert passengers that Tango may be IDB, may not have a desirable seat or ability to change seat, etc. It is hard to completely blame AC for not emphasizing that when the marketplace rewards people who will make patently impossible promises and claims. AC could and should have done better than it did in many of the cases that have hit the fan, and in cases we each have experienced, but I would not want to be AC in trying to deal with the marketplace of unreasonable expectations that affect every commodity, from politics to tourism to apparel and accessories.

Agree with all points.

Not long after that mom on my morning flight to LAX threw a major tantrum for having her family separated (and recall that FA had asked her if she had paid for seat selection), a few of us suggested to AC that they have pop-up windows during the booking process especially for Tango tickets that seat selection costs $.

AC has decent enough charts on the website with all the ancillary costs listed, but no one likes to look there, many buy on OTA where there may not be flashing red lights and in the end, IMHO, AC is still the carrier and should do a better job of pointing out the rules and such. I think too many airlines are afraid they will lose a customer if the total trip costs $5 more. Everyone who flies Spirit or RyanAir knows exactly what they are paying for, piece by piece.

........The problem is that nobody tells anybody bad news any more. Governments and prospective governments campaigning don't say "you can't get the healthcare / road works / home heating /etc. for the amount of tax you are willing to pay." They simply say what people want to hear and get elected for that and vilified for not finding a rabbit in their hat.

All politicians lie, it's just a varying degree of how much and how often.

Originally Posted by ETStar
....There was also an article I read a few weeks ago (I can't find the link) that talks about how airlines are degrading Economy service to the point where the passenger will want to spend more to have an experience that's better but used to be the norm.

EDIT TO ADD:

Ah, found this:

"The airlines will tell you these Basic Economy fares – no advance seat assignments, no changes, no upgrades – are about bringing people lower fares. They’re not. They’re about giving consumers less at the same fare they pay now and generating incremental revenue in the form of:...

The Truth About Basic Economy: Airlines Aren’t Creating a “Class Below Economy

by Gary Leff on May 24, 2016

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....class-economy/

Last edited by 24left; May 12, 2017 at 12:43 pm Reason: add info