FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help me reverse a points to miles transaction
Old May 12, 2017, 10:48 am
vandykes44

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
Help me reverse a points to miles transaction

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or has had any luck getting a points to miles transaction reversed by any vendors. I'm looking for any and all ideas.

Several months ago I switched my earning preference from Club Carlson Gold Points to Delta Skymiles. It's definitely not very clearly identified, but their policy is to convert all Gold Points you have in your account, not just what you earn going forward, to miles at a 10:1 conversion, a terrible conversion! I'm sick about it as Club Carlson converted 250,000 of my Gold Points to 25,000 Skymiles. I really want to get my Gold Points back as I value them much more than the 25,000 Delta miles.

This is a letter I've written to Club Carlson. Any feedback on your thoughts about this letter or who I should send it to is appreciated. Any other actions I can take to get the transaction reversed?

I appreciate any and all help. Thanks

Dear Club Carlson,

Several months ago I signed up to participate in a promotion with Delta that gave me 1000 bonus miles for each eligible SkyMiles partner I used, including Club Carlson. I had a stay coming up at a Radisson Hotel in Phoenix, and so switched my Club Carlson earning preference from Gold Points to SkyMiles to earn the SkyMiles bonus mile for using that partner.

I absolutely did not realize, that it’s your policy that when you switch earning preferences, you will not only switch my earning preference going forward, but will transfer all CC Gold Points I had earned previously to my new miles earning partner! So without my realizing it, you transferred 250,000 Club Carlson points to my Delta SkyMiles account at a 10:1 ratio (a terrible conversion rate). Honestly, I had no idea you would do that as I’ve changed my earning preferences with other hotel chains (Marriott, Hilton and IHG) back and forth several times. I absolutely did not want my hard-earned valuable Club Carlson points transferred to my Delta Account. I’ve been accumulating Club Carlson points for many years and am planning to use them for an amazing trip to Europe when my husband and I retire in a few years.

I found out about this conversion when I checked my hotel and airlines accounts a few weeks ago. I was extremely upset as I didn't know why in the world my 250,000 Gold Points had been transferred to Skymiles. I went to your website where I read the small print that said you would convert my entire balance of Gold Points to Skymiles. I admit that I must not have read the paragraph carefully before, but in my option, because it’s not standard practice to convert ALL banked points or miles when you change earning preferences, that practice should be much more clearly identified. The paragraph highlights (bolds) the fact that you can’t covert Miles back to Gold Points once converted, which is standard practice. But it does not highlight the fact that your entire balance of Gold Points will covert to Miles. That was buried in the paragraph.

I immediately called you and talked to an agent who said she could not reverse the transaction. She told me that Delta would have to initiate the reversal. After several attempts to call Delta (2-3 hour hold times), I finally sent Delta an email via “Contact Us.” After more than a week, they wrote back to say that they couldn’t convert the miles back to Club Carlson points and that you would have to initiate the reversal.

As mentioned, I’m sick about this transaction. I don’t believe that the process was nearly as clear identified as it should have been, primarily because it’s not standard operating procedure for other hotel chains. I'm asking you to please help me by reversing the transaction to get my Club Carlson Points back. I value them much more than I do Delta points and, as I mentioned previously, am planning to use them at some of the wonderful properties you have in Europe in a few years to celebrate retirement.

What can you do to help me?
Kindest regards,

Last edited by vandykes44; May 12, 2017 at 3:54 pm Reason: Spelling error