FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Customers - Cheap with High Expectations?
Old May 12, 2017, 9:34 am
flyquiet

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I think FFs are different in expectations and that is probably not who the airline is talking about. I think they are talking about the Tango fare buyers who complain their family can't sit together or they aren't automatically protected on irrops.

The problem is that nobody tells anybody bad news any more. Governments and prospective governments campaigning don't say "you can't get the healthcare / road works / home heating /etc. for the amount of tax you are willing to pay." They simply say what people want to hear and get elected for that and vilified for not finding a rabbit in their hat.

A lot of pop culture revolves around the gold-plated premium experience (viz hiphop, which to my aging eyes looks like little more than a recitation of brand names) and is actualized by consumers as buying licensed logo appliqués on garbage from the outlet mall. The mash-up is the unsustainable expectation of paying the discount price but getting the first class service.

In the discussion of several recent cases, many comments have pointed to the need for AC to explicitly alert passengers that Tango may be IDB, may not have a desirable seat or ability to change seat, etc. It is hard to completely blame AC for not emphasizing that when the marketplace rewards people who will make patently impossible promises and claims. AC could and should have done better than it did in many of the cases that have hit the fan, and in cases we each have experienced, but I would not want to be AC in trying to deal with the marketplace of unreasonable expectations that affect every commodity, from politics to tourism to apparel and accessories.

(And congrats on promotion to Evangelist!)