FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old May 9, 2017, 12:47 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
At this point, on basically any United reoute I want to fly, United is demanding an extra $30 RT to "use" my status, otherwise it is just a BE fare. And OALs? On the routes and fares I am flying, they give me the same price UA wants for BE for a regular coach fare, and they recognize my status.

This is VERY different in taking away the benifits of FF status, unless you pay more. Delta did a few things arround the edges, on deep discount fares (no upgrades, no seating assignments) but what United is trying to do will have much more impact.
It's not any different for me, because much of my travel is deep discount (even with no advance purchase). UA's model and DL's model are identical. I already ignore DL's BE product because I am willing to pay for legroom; I will now ignore UA's BE product too. Furthermore, just like any other price increase, if this is successful, DL will match it, and if it is not, UA will have to roll it back.

I already pay more to use my benefits on UA by choosing to fly UA even if they're a few dollars more expensive -- and, besides, that's often a false economy, because I sometimes need to check luggage and I always want a seat with enough legroom to avoid cramps. UA is no longer giving me the same discount that they did before. That's all.

Originally Posted by findark
The most striking thing about UA's implementation of BE is that, as a fare increase, it breaks with the long-held practice of all carriers offering the same (inventory-independent) price on competitive routes. Some people see it as UA exploiting elite loyalty to charge a premium when they're not offering a better standard product. Sure, they have a business right to do that, but they're doing it with the worst possible optics I can imagine.

+1. But it doesn't change the terrible optics. I try to ignore BE and just note that UA is now $15-$25 more than its direct competition, and when spending my own money it's just irritating.
Oh, I agree 100% on the optics, and, yes, it breaks with tradition -- which is why I maintain that the other carriers will adopt it or UA will roll it back. If they could profitable offer fares $15 above their competition, they would have done so long ago.

I'm lucky to have a lot of flexibility in my personal travel, and a business travel policy that (a) filters out BE fares and (b) does not require the lowest coach fare, but rather allows for some reasonable level of personal choice. I have flown in and out of alternate airports; I've flown off-peak times and seasons; I've changed destinations entirely because I was able to get a better deal elsewhere. Not everyone has that same luxury.

I don't believe that this is the sea change that spin88 and others are suggesting. I certainly believe that it's obnoxious.

With the broader rollout of BE today, I'm surprised there aren't more reports of irritated flyers...