FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old May 9, 2017, 8:54 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
This is the biggest devaluation of elite benefits I have ever seen in 20 years of following the industry.
Wow. Bigger than DL's addition of the MQD requirement? Bigger than DL's switch to spend-based earnings, and the resulting nosedive in earnings for people who fly on discount fares? Bigger than DL's removal of the award chart and deciding it'll just charge what it wants and you'll pay it? Bigger than DL's changes to elite access for C+?

Bigger than the elimination of CO Bronze? How about the CO Platinum flyer going from top-tier to third-tier status as part of the merger? Bigger than the introduction of co-pays on mileage upgrades for CO, at a time before they had upgrade certificates? How about the massive increase in the cost of first-class *A awards (using UA miles) a few years back?

I'm sure I can come up with more examples; those are just the ones that come to mind.

It's a fare increase. That's all it is. I don't like the presentation of it any more than you do, but fares change all the time. In 2003, CO had a $190 RT walk-up G fare for AUS-LAS (about $250 in 2017 dollars). Today, the cheapest walk-up fare on that route is a $536 V fare. I don't consider that the "biggest devaluation of elite benefits," I consider it "UA raising its prices."

I'll deal with this fare increase the same way I've dealt with the change in walk-up pricing on AUS-LAS; I'll alter my habits accordingly. If another airline offers me a better price on the same benefits, then I'll fly them. If not, I'll fly UA, or I'll drive, or I won't go. I care about legroom, and I value the possibility of upgrades (my CPU rate is not 100%, but it's nowhere near the 0-10% that some people state). I value those things more than I value $30 on a RT itinerary. The more UA increases their prices, the less likely it is that they will meet my needs. That's just economics.