FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old May 9, 2017, 6:54 am
nitab62

Hmm, I guess I am not following this thread very well. While I hope we all agree, the airlines are not in business to give away money nor has the pricing fluctuations has not been drastically different in decades (buy your tickets on 1 day vs another) it seems petty to think UA is different that all the other airlines. We find one that suits our needs and they are competing with airlines that are different with different expenses.

Why does Southwest offer 3 fare types when you virtually get nothing for it. I stand in line, I don't have a seat and based on the fare, I don't have the flexibility to change to a different flight on the same day for free or for a small fee? Sometimes, it is greater than the ticket originally bought. I don't get a larger seat, more leg room or anything worthy but pay a higher rate? Ok.

Competition allows them to supply offerings based on the consumer's willingness to pay. Is it OK for Spirit to charge for breathing the air on the plane, yet it doesn't seem to be demonized like the others. Delta & American both have restrictive Economy fares; we are not allowed to use for work because of the severe restrictions but they are playing the game that Southwest have brainwashed folks to believe is OK; no seat assignment, pay for early boarding(early stand in line) but some airlines allow to pay for earlier boarding and seat selection.

Quite frankly, the expectation that the price of a cross country ticket should be lower than 20 years ago doesn't single out the greediness of the airline but the unrealistic expectation of the consumer. Why don't we expect that and boycott the auto industry, the clothing industry or almost every other industry? It seems we are being led to focus on the wrong thing while the proverbial wool is being planted.