FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Country of residence
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2017, 2:41 am
deebee7

Country of residence

Hi,

I've read some old messages on this forum on changing your country of residence to make a booking with AVIS. I was wondering if there were any more recent experiences with this issue?
The rate is much cheaper providing another country of residence than selecting my own country of residence. For a car rental (group B) for 15 days in spain I would be paying 510 euro using my own country. Using south Africa I would be paying 365 euro. Same car.
There were still other countries that were even cheaper but why I am using south Africa is because my husband is still an official resident of south Africa.(and family still lives there) We live in Europe but he never officially emigrated. (but does not have a valid SA drivers license anymore)
I was wondering: would it be 'legit' to make the booking in his name through avis SA?
The main thing I worry about is if something were to happen to the car. (accident or something). We would be paying with a Belgian credit card that has a cover for this. I would not be using AVIS's cover. I've read the small print on this insurance and it seems that the only criteria for the cover is that it is paid with that specific credit card (from Belgium).

And additionally: Would avis not make a problem of it when we pick up the car and we both provide a Belgian drivers license (and cc)? I would go for a prepaid rate.
I take it that it would be best to book over the phone in south Africa? (because online you have to give address)

Thanks so much for the info!