FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sim card France, Italy, Switzerland help
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2017, 11:18 pm
Mountain Trader

While I haven't gone back to research this again, here are my thoughts based on the several times I did in the past.

1. As suggested upthread, figure out your needs. Do you want a lot of data to use Google maps to get around? Are you just looking for a way to make calls, plus use data from time-to-time?

2. For $10 a day, Verizon let's you have data basically on the same basis as your plan in US. Problems are: Calls aren't free, data is pretty slow, $10 a day.

3. Orange is pretty good, and they now have English phone help and web pages. Lots of shops in Paris but lines are often painfully long, and it may well turn out they speak little or no English.

If it were me, I'd figure out what you need, then hit the Orange website to see what they have that fits your bill. Then continue with Orange site or call to see how/if they'll give you a SIM card if you walk into a Paris Orange shop. If that's all a go, write down the specific product of theirs you want to buy (preferably in French and English), then at the shop show them your list.

Another alternative is to go to T-Mobile in the US and sign-up for a plan of theirs. They basically give you most of the $10 a day plan for nothing extra. If you could find a plan that lets you cancel after you get back, you'd be set. Check that T-Mobile SIM works in an unlocked Verizon phone.

Update: This may have some promise if the SIM works in your phone and if you have or can get what they require to sell it to you:

https://boutique.orange.fr/mobile/ca...ge-holiday-eng

Last edited by Mountain Trader; May 8, 2017 at 12:09 am