FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tier Qualifying Points Bonuses - Where are they?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:18 am
brownoarsman

Programs: Marriott, Starwood, American, United, Amtrak, Enterprise
Tier Qualifying Points Bonuses - Where are they?

Hi all,

New member here. I quite enjoyed earning and having Select Plus last year, but with a reduced travel schedule, am afraid I won't re-earn it this year and have been investigating how to juice my Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs). The language on the Amtrak website has this to say: "Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) count toward your tier status and are earned by traveling on Amtrak and during special promotions."

The special promotions part is what interest me, as, despite religiously adding AGR promotions (Double Days, Online Booking, Roundtrip Bonus, Acela travel, etc.), I have never seen any promotions that increase TQPs-earned. Has anyone seen these? The only ones that I'm aware of are:
  • Credit Card: $79 annual fee, spend $5,000 and earn 1,000 TQPs
  • Class of Service: Business class gets a 25% TQP bump and First class gets a 50% bump
  • Targeted Email Offer: An apparent targeted offer covered in this flyer talk thread.

My spending is pretty reduced this year so the credit card option is out, and my travel is all on the Eastern corridor where I feel horrible spending an extra $100 on Acela for a train that gets in marginally faster (~20 minutes) between BWI and Philadelphia, and has often been delayed and gotten in later! Has anyone seen any TQP-bonus promotions mixed in with the other deals on the Amtrak site?