FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - getting on earlier flights
View Single Post
Old May 7, 2017, 8:17 am
billy10drs

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
1) I don't know why UA booked you on such a long layover. Even with the terrible immigration lines at JNB, a shorter connection is doable.

2) In my experience, as long as everything is on the same PNR/Ticket, the post-customs re-check staff at JNB does often put you on an earlier flight if there are seats available. YMMV = all you have to do is read through a few threads in the Voyager and Africa forum to know that SAA is all over the map on what can happen, might happen, should happen or doesn't happen. Flying in J might help. Or being willing to fly in Y would help as well (it's a short flight and domestic J isn't so spectacular that you need to be seated in J).

3) It's really up in the air with the immigration times at JNB nowadays. You could end up needing some extra time to clear immigration and get through to bag claim/customs/re-check. I'd save the $300 total for the change and chance it based on 2 above.

PS - You're gonna LOVE CPT!
1- initially there really was no other award seat availability on a shorter connection, whether it be in J or Y so we had that long layover. Then the new flights opened up award seats this week. After talking to 4 different united reps at different times (!!!!), I was able to get on the newly available shorter layover flight (will be a 2.5 hour layover in JNB now).

2- Lol, yes I have realized reading these forums that SAA is all over the place. But good to know that if by a miracle I clear customs super quickly, perhaps I can get on an even earlier flight.

Yes I am so excited for CPT. First time in Africa ever! We are spending a week in CPT, then a week on safari in Kruger, then 5 days in Rwanda doing the gorilla trek.