FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Phuket & Krabi, Thailand
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2017, 7:19 am
ung1

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Resort options in July

I'm going to hijack (sorry) this thread because I have a very similar question and need help deciding where to stay in Thailand.

The trip is 2 weeks in end July, starting off in Angkor Wat, then Singapore for a few days, followed by a week in Thailand (5 days beach, 2 days Bangkok). We've previously been to Phuket, Ko Samui, Ko Kradan and for this trip I'm considering Krabi (never been) or Phuket (more flights and resort options). I know the weather, statistically, is better in Ko Samui but I've been reading its all a toss up with regards to the weather and then why spend 3x on the flights, as long as it is possible to swim a little bit in the sea.

Requirements for a nice resort
- Hard product (room size and amenities, private and/or common pool, beach and view)

- Soft product (service, number of guests, avoid once a year American tourists on redemptions)

- Access (don't want to be trapped in the resort and would like the option to have some meals/ massages at local beachside "shacks")

I've previously been very happy for example at the

- IC DaNang (duplex villa with private pool and butler made for a great experience despite average beach and secluded location)
- Kupu Kupu Ko Phangnan (corner villa with private pool in a resort with less than a dozen villas - service not up to scratch but they tried really hard)
- Ko Kradan (fantastic beach, pool with great bar service, nice rooms - not really "luxury" and the small things were missing but still a memorable experience)

I'm considering the Ritz Carlton Phulay Bay (free minibar, butler, boat trips) and Rayavadee (better location probably) but both have received quite mixed reviews with regards to their location. EDIT: Also, the Conrad Ko Samui which I found at a similar price but no perks, more expensive flights, is a chain.

I also don't necessarily need to (or want or can) stay at the most expensive resorts (eg Aman, Trisara, FS) but value for money for a luxury experience is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ung1; May 4, 2017 at 10:34 am