FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yikes!! House hunting in Manhattan... via Virgin America and American First Class
Old May 1, 2017, 10:45 pm
SFO777
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LadyShiva
You are missing quintessential Denver weather, SFO777. Eight inches of heavy wet snow last Friday and Saturday, and we are back up to 80 degrees by this next Friday! Don't you miss our whiplash weather???
LOL. That is so Denver Lady Shiva. I remember Mrs. SFO777 deciding to plant flowers last year before May 15th only to have 6 inches of snow fall on May 13th. Guess who had to run around and get blankets to cover the flowers. We've pretty much decided that it's New York or Denver.

Originally Posted by sgh
As a visitor to your trip reports, I would encourage you & Mrs. SFO 777 to move to the UES. It is a wonderful experience , that few other places in the world will be able to replicate. Paris and London may seem a little more polished, but living in UES Manhattan gives you a little more grit of NYC living and if it gets to be too much to handle, you can retire to your UES enclave which is so civilized and proper as to be a part of London's Knightsbridge or Rue du Faubourg St. Honore in Paris.. I am being a little tongue in cheek here, but I am someone who has a little bit of experience living in Manhattan. I am well aware of the cost of living ( $10K plus monthly rent etc.for the kind of places you are looking at.) But I do believe there is no other place like it on this planet. Just my humble opinion. However, I would like to offer a word of warning, Manhattan in the summer is horrible. South Florida (where I currently live is paradise , compared with summer in Manhattan). If you do move to NYC, be prepared that in the summer months you may want to have a place in the Hamptons or the Jersey Shore or in Connecticut. If you don't, the heat will be the negative . However the positive will be that you will be able to get a table at pretty much any restaurant that you please.
Thanks so much sgh. If we do NY, we're pretty convinced that it's going to be the Upper East Side. We just need to work thru the less space for double/triple the price thing. But we're definitely in the "there's no place like Manhattan" camp. Not wild about the summer heat and humidity, so we're thinking summer in the OC and then maybe September 1st would be a good time to move.