FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:30 pm
ttama

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by 80knots
Hi all, great guide thankyou!

Specific question if I may...I have a Companion Voucher to use and would like to travel to Cape Town for a wedding mid November. I've been looking last couple of months and there are no available flights LHR-CPT direct but I can do LHR-JNB in CW return and it works out to 125,000 avios and just over a grand cash which is really good considering full fare is over £7k for two of us. I guess then I could book a loco connection to CPT for few hundred. (concerned this might go wrong!?)

Or...could I wait it out and see if LHR-CPT opens up?New to all this so appreciate any experienced views! Thanks
I used a companion voucher in 2015 for CW LHR-CPT return. Initially there were only flights to and from JNB so I booked those, and also booked cancellable flights on Comair between JNB and CPT. I was eventually able to change both the outbound and return flights to CPT flights as they opened up nearer the time. There was a fee to pay for changing, but because of lower fees for CPT and a favourable exchange rate for the Comair refunds I don't think I ended up paying much extra, if at all.

Our outbound flight to CPT was in Aug 2015, and the return in Sept. I can't remember how close to those dates the flights opened up, I'm afraid, but it is worth keeping an eye open every day.

Re-ticketing took a long time, but it all worked out fine in the end.