FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning UA mileage credit for Air NZ flights
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:32 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Austin787
Check the fare codes carefully. As PQM is determined by the operating carrier Air New Zealand's rates would apply. If booking through United website make sure the code is a ANZ business code - that would be J,Z,D, or C. United sometimes books ANZ codeshare flights into P which United uses for business but ANZ uses for economy.
This is a little misleading. For a United marketed, Air New Zealand operated flight, you will earn according to the NZ metal earning chart for the translated booking code, and not the one shown on your receipt. There is no easy, public way I am aware of to perform this translation (you can see a mapping with a paid service like EF).

Since the JV, however, it's actually really easy. All Economy fares will earn 100%, and all Business fares will earn 200%. The only complicated one is which "full fare" tickets will earn 300% and I actually think it's an eclectic mix of J and C fares, but the determining factor is "if I price this fare component on NZ/NZ, what inventory does it use?".

The small print:
[2] The award miles accrued on codeshare flights are based on the operating carrier and their equivalent fare class. This could result in differences between the purchased booking class and the booking class flown, which determines the number of base and Premier qualifying miles and Premier qualifying segments earned.