FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:01 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Based on the fact that ULCCs exist, I doubt your statement that "most" people are paying more to avoid this. I find the fares unattractive, and I see it as a stealth -- and unwelcome -- way to charge elites for E+. However, there are undoubtedly people who shop for the lowest price and are either willing to accept the restrictions or are unaware of them.

FTers may not buy the fares, but I'm surprised that nobody has a story like "I was waiting for my SFO-ORD flight and they were boarding SFO-MSP at the next gate... nobody had seat assignments, passengers were furious.." etc.
This exactly. Most on here are not the type that BE fares are targeted at. History has shown, time and time again, that there is a huge segment of the public that buys on price, not on value. And with the growing influence of more ULCCs on more routes, this is how UA and the other legacies are competing.

Lets not forget - buying on the ULCCs is not going to get you more than buying a BE fare. In fact, it'll get you less, IMO. 28" pitch - no thank you. Charging for all drinks on board - no thanks. In many cases, less options on schedule. Paying if I (god forbid) need to get my BP at the airport? I get that this appeals to some. I'm fine with flying on the legacies, thank you.