FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:33 pm
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by fastair
Didn't he originate in LAX? The "I've been traveling for 24 hours" IMHO was just an excuse to try to pressure them to violate the established policy and to deflect removal to any other person. Either that, or that if he had taken the bump, he WOULD have been traveling for 24 hours as the protection was not until the next day, and his wording was poor (although that same thing as well would apply to any other person as the next confirm-able flight was the next day.) It was similar to the "I am a physician" statement, an attempt to say someone else, anyone else is less deserving than me to be removed, pick them. No one has a 24 hour journey time from their vacation in CA via this routing LAX-ORD-SDF without building a stopover in or significant irrops. People (on this thread) had speculated that he connected in from Asia, to get to that 24 hours, but from the facts that have been presented, he did not, he originated in LAX and any other flights added to increase his journey time are a rewriting of history rationalization to increase the perceived insult to the doctor.
What we don't know is where he started his trip. Did he have to drive a few hours to get to LAX was he coming off another airline? I don't know.

I am not certain what the established policy is. Has United every published the algorithm it uses to make this decision?